F20 System Wide Change: No Default Sendmail

Oron Peled oron at actcom.co.il
Wed Jul 24 09:53:47 UTC 2013

On Tuesday 23 July 2013 02:34:25 Lennart Poettering wrote:
> On Tue, 23.07.13 03:14, Oron Peled (oron at actcom.co.il) wrote:
> > BTW: nobody ever answered how desktop users are supposed to read the
> >      output of their cron-jobs (they don't have permissions to read logs).
> Actually, if you'd look closely it has been answered 3 times now,
> already, just on this thread.

This turned out into a huge forest of Q&A. I've read your reply to my other
mail, just after sending my "BTW:..." reply to another -- sorry.

However, if you've read my response you know the question wasn't really
answered -- regular users only access to the output of their cron-jobs
is still via email. Cron currently logs the output to the system-wide
syslog which isn't accessible to regular users (just try it yourself
I've tested it on F19).

So as I've replied Matthew Miller few minutes ago: do you have
a real (working) solution for this? If not, it's premature
to remove MTA's from default install.

That's without even touching the totally different use-cases for
logs and email in general.

--
Oron Peled                                 Voice: +972-4-8228492
oron at actcom.co.il                  http://users.actcom.co.il/~oron