Multirelease effort: Moving to Python 3

Bohuslav Kabrda bkabrda at redhat.com
Wed Jul 24 12:49:34 UTC 2013

----- Original Message -----
> On Tue, Jul 23, 2013 at 02:40:56AM -0400, Bohuslav Kabrda wrote:
> >
> > The problem is that you're basically saying "my mental model is the right
> > one", which is not necessarily true for everyone (and not necessarily true
> > generally). Taking your arguments a bit further, Python 2.6 and 2.7 are
> > different languages too, since there are some backward incompatible
> > additions to Python 2.7.
> >
> Even more directly, I am saying that your mental model is wrong.  Now then,
> I assumed that you would not find that palatable therefore I backed my
> mental model up with links to the python-dev mailing list.  (The three
> threads from the PEP and the earlier one that I linked to explicitly in my
> email).  What are the links to upstream that you are basing your mental
> model on?

Since Python upstream really cares about these things, I started a discussion about this on their mailing list [1]. So far, it seems that people prefer my mental model, but this is judging from just 4 answers, 2 of which mentioned this. So let's wait and see.
BTW, if Python 2 and Python 3 were different languages, then IMO it wouldn't make sense to point /usr/bin/python to Python 3, while upstream plans to actually give the recommendation to do so sometime in the future.

--
Regards,
Bohuslav "Slavek" Kabrda.

[1] http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2013-July/127516.html