Fedora as an crowd founded project an additional funding source to our sponsor

inode0 inode0 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 24 14:13:36 UTC 2013

On Wed, Jul 24, 2013 at 8:23 AM, Stephen Gallagher <sgallagh at redhat.com> wrote:
> My understanding is that Fedora is registered as a non-profit
> organization in the United States which I believe allows for anyone to
> donate to it *today* if they so chose. The fact that the only
> donations we see are *time* rather than *money* is an interesting fact
> (and given Red Hat's sponsorship covering most things anyway, I think
> that's a better expenditure from our community members).

Fedora is not any sort of legally recognized entity as far as I know.
And the fact that the vast majority of contributions are time rather
than money is because in order to contribute money requires one to
send a check made out to Red Hat and I don't think Red Hat wants
checks sent to them earmarked for Fedora which I'm sure would have
interesting legal and accounting complications. This latter point may
have changed very recently although I'm not aware of the details of
how other organizations are making money contributions to Flock.

John