Following MPI packaging guidelines

Antonio Trande anto.trande at gmail.com
Wed Jul 24 16:04:00 UTC 2013

Hi all.

I'm editing .spec file of MUMPS package to conform it to the MPI
packaging guidelines (http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:MPI). I
have a modest experience in this particular case so I need some
suggestions.

This is initial .spec file of MUMPS:
http://pkgs.fedoraproject.org/cgit/MUMPS.git/tree/MUMPS.spec

This is that adjusted according to the MPI packaging guidelines:
http://sagitter.fedorapeople.org/MUMPS/MUMPS.mod.spec

As you see, I have created the packages

- - MUMPS-openmpi
- - MUMPS-openmpi-devel
- - MUMPS-common

Upstream provides illustrative test programs showing how MUMPS can be
used in examples/ directory; Can I package these programs in
'MUMPS-common' package ? They are located in dedicated directory in
/usr/share.

'MUMPS-openmpi' contains all versioned libraries; I don't know if it's
correct or the package must be named 'MUMPS-openmpi-libs'

Should all .h files be in a '-headers' subpackage ?
Now, they are 'MUMPS-openmpi-devel'.

This phrase in MPI guidelines is little clear for me:

"Software that supports MPI MUST be packaged also in serial mode [i.e.
no MPI], if it is supported by upstream."

What does mean "serial mode" ? :)

- ----
Antonio Trande

mailto: sagitter at fedoraproject.org