Fedora as an crowd founded project an additional funding source to our sponsor

inode0 inode0 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 24 16:40:47 UTC 2013

On Wed, Jul 24, 2013 at 11:07 AM, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson"
<johannbg at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 07/24/2013 04:01 PM, Tomasz Torcz wrote:

>>> Speaking of numbers, where can the community see how much money is
>>> being spent on hosting,events etc. from Red Hat?
>>
>>   Like http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Ambassadors/EMEA/Budget ?
>

> That just covers Ambassador as in one sub-community
>
> The entire Infrastructure cost for the project number of servers, storage,
> powerbill etc )  is where the baseline lies.

The entire budget is not public so you won't get a definitive answer
for a large portion of the budget. The only part that really is public
is the regional support part of the budget which can be seen here:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FY14_Budget

So roughly $90K is allocated to supporting Ambassadors which includes
production of media, Fedora branded merchandise, and events where
Ambassadors promote Fedora. I think it is fair to assume the number
allocated for Flock, remaining FUDCons, other premier events (FADs),
and miscellaneous items exceeds the $90K allocated to regional
support.

Numbers for infrastructure costs, engineering costs (including support
for Red Hat folks who work on Fedora to attend Fedora events), and
other groups inside Red Hat who help cover Fedora related costs from
their budgets have never been public so you will have to guess at what
all that costs but I would expect it is more than the total from
above.

John