Fedora as an crowd founded project an additional funding source to our sponsor

Michael Scherer misc at zarb.org
Wed Jul 24 21:44:42 UTC 2013

Le mercredi 24 juillet 2013 à 08:42 +0000, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" a
écrit :
> On 07/24/2013 07:33 AM, Brendan Jones wrote:
> > On 07/24/2013 03:50 AM, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" wrote:
> >> Earlier this evening I was asked how I expected Fedora to function in
> >> any way similarly to how it does now without the backing of one or more
> >> organizations like Red Hat.
> >>
> >> I gave the quick answer  "through donations" since I was not in mood to
> >> give the detailed answers ( and taint that thread even further ) however
> >> I'm about do it here to certain extent since the questioner probably did
> >> not expect me to have actually given this any thought which I actually
> >> have although I have not chiselled it into stone, making it the concrete
> >> proposal the community demands since it's just a small fraction of a
> >> larger idea or rather vision I have but I have decide it be the correct
> >> time to share that part of that vision of mine with the rest of the
> >> community to gather feedback.
> >>
> > Under the current model I thought it is not possible to make monetary
> > donations to Fedora (I remember Jared Smith saying something about
> > this at a linuxconf.au a while back) Hardware, physical items,
> > consumable media etc is OK though. Something to do with US taxes,
> > correct me if I'm wrong.
>
> Looks like we need to get the Fedora name out of the states

You could just use a NGO outside of US. We used to have Fedora EMEA, and
we have Borsalinux-fr. There is no need to have it done officially by
the Fedora project or anything.

And that's what was done for Mageia before the association got a legal
entity, using another partner association in France as a proxy for
money. I think Debian also do something similar for debconf, with SPI.

--
Michael Scherer