Fedora as an crowd founded project an additional funding source to our sponsor

Brendan Jones brendan.jones.it at gmail.com
Thu Jul 25 08:07:29 UTC 2013

On 07/25/2013 12:11 AM, Adam Williamson wrote:
> On Wed, 2013-07-24 at 16:50 +0000, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" wrote:
>> On 07/24/2013 04:40 PM, inode0 wrote:
>>> On Wed, Jul 24, 2013 at 11:07 AM, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson"
>>> <johannbg at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> The entire budget is not public so you won't get a definitive answer
>>> for a large portion of the budget.
>>
>> Why is it not public any reason why we the community cannot know how
>> much we cost?
>
> I don't think there's any particular reason, but one thing is that it's
> not particularly obvious even within Red Hat: there isn't a single nice
> clear Fedora Budget, money gets spent on Fedora out of all sorts of
> other budgets. It may well be the case that *Red Hat* does not know
> precisely how much money Red Hat spends on Fedora. :)

I contribute regularly to opensource projects (monetarily) with no
issue. While I take JBG's anti-RH implications with a grain of salt, he
has highlighted a lacking there. It *should* be easier to contribute,
although I cannot see this happening if Fedora is a legal entity resides
state-side.

To clarify, I think RH is an awesome sponsor, and the resources they
provide do separate us from other distros, and for that I am grateful,
BUT there needs to be another way to contribute