Multirelease effort: Moving to Python 3

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Thu Jul 25 10:26:23 UTC 2013

On Jul 25, 2013 12:13 AM, "Bohuslav Kabrda" <bkabrda at redhat.com> wrote:

> [...]
(I think this can be done automatically in %__os_install_post, or somewhere
similar) - we should probably do that ASAP

<nod>.  Which means patching in a bunch of packages.  For os_install_post
modification you're talking about a check that fails the build if
/usr/bin/python is used?  I note that upstream envisions some cases where
/usr/bin/python is correct but I don't recall any package where we'd have
invoked that clause (the case is when the code will run on either python2
or on python3)

/me goes to the upstream thread to ask Nick what distutils/setuptools/etc
do when they rewrite shebang lines.

> - Rename python to python2 and add "Provides: python" for the time being
(the similar should probably be done for all python packages to keep things
consistent) - we can do this for F21

Renaming other packages gets problematic.  See the previous discussion on
python-devel at lists.fp.o that tomspur championed.  (This was one of the
items I was hoping could be discussed at flock) You wouldn't expect to
report bugs for the python3-foo library against the python2-foo package for
instance.  One possibility that we talked about was to stop shipping
python3 packages as subpackages of the python2 modules.

> - Somewhere in the future switch "Provides: python" to python3 stuff and
possibly /usr/bin/python to point to python3, according to upstream
recommendation (2015?) to keep consistent across multiple platforms as much
as possible.

Rather than 2015 I'd tie it to when upstream switches the recommendation in
pep 394.

-Toshio