rpmconf and new feature to configure application

Colin Walters walters at verbum.org
Thu Jul 25 15:35:08 UTC 2013

On Thu, 2013-07-25 at 17:28 +0200, Thomas Moschny wrote:
> In my opinion, the best solution would be to automatically keep a copy
> of the original configuration file (maybe RPM could do that - always
> wondered why it doesn't, or one could use a tool like etckeeper).

You might be interested to know that OSTree does that automatically:

# ostree admin config-diff
M    group
M    fstab
M    gshadow
M    shadow
M    passwd
M    resolv.conf
A    vconsole.conf
A    .pwd.lock
A    passwd-
A    shadow-
A    group-
A    gshadow-
A    X11
A    X11/xorg.conf.d
A    X11/xorg.conf.d/00-keyboard.conf
#

The way this works is that the default etc is shipped as /usr/etc,
so we can always diff it versus the real /etc.

(Putting this underneath RPM requires extensive, deeply invasive
 changes, but I've been working on it slowly)