rpmconf and new feature to configure application

Colin Walters walters at verbum.org
Thu Jul 25 15:38:28 UTC 2013

On Thu, 2013-07-25 at 14:42 +0200, Miroslav Suchý wrote:

> So I put in rpmconf this code (little bit simplified here):
>          if [ -x /usr/share/rpmconf/$PACKAGE ]; then
>                  /usr/share/rpmconf/$PACKAGE
>          fi

Have you looked at Debconf?  In a past life I wrote the Debconf scripts
for Postfix.

The crazy thing about Debconf is that it asks you questions while the
package mangler is in the middle of open heart surgery on your root
filesystem (partly because Debian wants daemons to start immediately
after install); as long as rpmconf is clearly something that happens
after things are installed, having some standard mechanism here makes a
lot of sense.