Summary of accepted Fedora 20 Changes - week 30

Marcela Mašláňová mmaslano at redhat.com
Fri Jul 26 08:33:27 UTC 2013

On 07/26/2013 01:20 AM, Toshio Kuratomi wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 25, 2013 at 05:09:54PM -0600, Stephen John Smoogen wrote:
>>>
>>> Unfeatures technically.  He wanted to remove features from the Default
>>> spin.   Subtracting functionality is not a feature.  He wanted an
>>> unfeature.
>>>

>> No he wanted out of the default install. We have a badly defined
>> naming scheme which is causing confusion:
>>
>> default install -> what you get when you put the DVD in and do a click
>> through install.
>> default spin -> The GNOME desktop livecd.
>>
>> Spins are managed by their respective "teams":
>> default has been GNOME and managed by GNOME sig
>> kde is managed by KDE sig
>> xfce is managed by XFCE sig
>> etc etc
>>
>> So I would say that the GNOME team is within its rights in managing
>> its spin. Whether it is named default etc is someone else's problem.
>>
> This has come up before and I think it's just plain unclear :-(
>
> The problem is that the desktop spin and the default spin are kinda two
> different roles but they are occupied by the same Product.  In browsing old
> tickets, I see some times when fesco has decided the default spin didn't
> have to do what other other things did and sometimes when fesco said they
> did.  AFAICS, there's been no generalized policy put into place in regards
> to this.  So it's something that is decided on in every case where it comes
> up.
>
> I don't think anyone thought they were doing anything wrong by making the
> change in the desktop spin but because the desktop spin has more than one
> owner, I've sent it back to FESCo to vote on whether allowing this change
> there is something we intended or not.
>
> (/me notes that if mattdm's Ring 1 was defined, this might be somewhat
> easier to decide upon.  If sendmail was in Ring 1 it would be an expected
> part of the Fedora Platform.  Anything general purpose and carrying the name
> Fedora would probably have to carry it as well.  If sendmail was in Ring 2,
> it probably would be fine to choose whether to install it or not as it
> wasn't a guaranteed part of the BaseOS. [You could also
> s at sendmail@/usr/bin/sendmail@ in that analysis if you so chose])
>
> -Toshio

Reverting the change or creating the GNOME spin without rsyslog would be
valid options. FESCo decided to leave rsyslog in standard, which means
it should be installed in the default spin. Default spin is now shipped
with GNOME, so it should use FESCo guidance.

I wouldn't miss default spin at all. At least in Europe we are giving
multi desktop DVD, so the default lost it's purpose anyway.

Marcela