Summary of accepted Fedora 20 Changes - week 30

Jaroslav Reznik jreznik at redhat.com
Fri Jul 26 09:54:47 UTC 2013

----- Original Message -----
> On 25 July 2013 16:59, Billy Crook <billycrook at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Thu, Jul 25, 2013 at 3:36 PM, Bastien Nocera <bnocera at redhat.com> wrote:
> >> Given the amount of time that he spent on the mailing-list fighting for
> >> those features, then it looks like a waste of time, that work has been
> >> done.
> >
> > Unfeatures technically.  He wanted to remove features from the Default
> > spin.   Subtracting functionality is not a feature.  He wanted an
> > unfeature.
> >

> No he wanted out of the default install. We have a badly defined
> naming scheme which is causing confusion:
>
> default install -> what you get when you put the DVD in and do a click
> through install.
> default spin -> The GNOME desktop livecd.
>
> Spins are managed by their respective "teams":
> default has been GNOME and managed by GNOME sig
> kde is managed by KDE sig
> xfce is managed by XFCE sig
> etc etc
>
> So I would say that the GNOME team is within its rights in managing
> its spin. Whether it is named default etc is someone else's problem.

But within the functional area of the SIG/team. And you know I'm a big fan
of more independence of SIGs, and to be honest, I think for Desktops, it's
a good move to remove sendmail and rsyslog. The underlying bits should be
identical, from the documentation perspective, supportability (ah, we do
not have support ;-).

One of the Flock proposals says, this should be standard to differ more,
another one is more about stable underlying bits, let's see :)

Jaroslav