Fedora as an crowd founded project an additional funding source to our sponsor

Michael Scherer misc at zarb.org
Fri Jul 26 13:07:22 UTC 2013

Le mercredi 24 juillet 2013 à 15:11 -0700, Adam Williamson a écrit :
> On Wed, 2013-07-24 at 16:50 +0000, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" wrote:
> > On 07/24/2013 04:40 PM, inode0 wrote:
> > > On Wed, Jul 24, 2013 at 11:07 AM, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson"
> > > <johannbg at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > The entire budget is not public so you won't get a definitive answer
> > > for a large portion of the budget.
> >
> > Why is it not public any reason why we the community cannot know how
> > much we cost?
>
> I don't think there's any particular reason, but one thing is that it's
> not particularly obvious even within Red Hat: there isn't a single nice
> clear Fedora Budget, money gets spent on Fedora out of all sorts of
> other budgets. It may well be the case that *Red Hat* does not know
> precisely how much money Red Hat spends on Fedora. :)

Working in IT @Red Hat, I concur, and I am pretty sure that no one has
all the information to make that estimation. Network, hosting and
storage are all under different budgets for different team, and all
aggregated ( cause the DC where RH host Fedora server is not dedicated
to Fedora, far from it ), and everybody has better things to do that
splitting usage by project, and querying the right folks to get the
number to start with. RH is not yet a bureaucratic behemoth where
everything is precisely counted.

However, a rough estimate would be easy to get, just ask for the number
of servers, and multiply that by a estimated cost based on industry
average.

--
Michael Scherer