Summary of accepted Fedora 20 Changes - week 30

"Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" johannbg at gmail.com
Fri Jul 26 14:23:49 UTC 2013

On 07/26/2013 01:47 PM, Josh Boyer wrote:
> Unless you are willing to change the definition of "default" from
> "spin" to "product", and making product something more broadly
> governed, you're going to be stuck playing these games.  If you aren't
> willing to do that, then you're limited to asking spins to adhere to
> concepts of what FESCo thinks should be defaults.
>
> So the choice you have is to work with the existing structure and find
> the spin that best fits the default criteria, or enforce rules on a
> spin because it is "default" which both restricts it compared to other
> spins and elevates it beyond spin status at the same time.

Or the third option change/redefine the existing structure to meet
something that actually reflects the current state of the project and
drop the entire concept of an default...

We have administrators that have been complaining about removal of this
and that from the "defaults" which also will complain about any $future
removal as well and you have to ask yourself why aren't those
administrators participating in the existing server sub-community and
help design and shape what "perfect server" looks like and which
components should be in it.

There they can influence what will be on a spin or better yet ask infra
for a git repo to host all the ks file they come up with, which later
can either be downloaded by all the administrators in the world or the
installer can be pointed at it.

Practical, simple, useful no overhead to releng like there are with
spins since the server sub-communiy never release iso but only ks files
and it gives the sub-community full control how those ks files are
shaped and what's on them.

Heck maybe the Anaconda team would be willing to come up with or accept
patches that will even present this in the installer in a spoke in a
user friendly manner.

Seriously we need to drop entire concept of an default before it tears
the community apart.

People seem to be so fixated at "defaults" they no longer can think
outside the box.

JBG