Summary of accepted Fedora 20 Changes - week 30

"Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" johannbg at gmail.com
Fri Jul 26 17:05:05 UTC 2013

On 07/26/2013 04:16 PM, Bill Nottingham wrote:
> "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" (johannbg at gmail.com) said:
>> Heck maybe the Anaconda team would be willing to come up with or
>> accept patches that will even present this in the installer in a
>> spoke in a user friendly manner.
> Software selection in anaconda *didn't* have a default in the redesigned UI
> for quite a while during the pre-F18 run-up. A mechanism to have a default
> was added based on user complaints. (Essentially, they didn't like having to
> go into one more spoke.)
>
> It's pretty easy to take it out... probably only a line or two.

Hmm so I think you misunderstood me here.

What I was referring to was in relation with the server sub-community
and the idea of them simply having a git instance to host ks files for
servers they produce so I guess this needs some further explanation so
something along the lines of...

step one

The service sub-community produce a lamp,jboss,389ds,virtualsation etc.
best practices as ready to use ks files in infrastructure.

step

Two the server sub-community upload those to their git instance under
fedorahosted.org and update the description file which contains a short
summary for each .ks file and the "|repo=http:" url or ||"repo=git:"|
for each of those ks. files

Step three

Admininstrator downloads the netinst.iso and fires it up.

Step four
In the main hub spoke he's presented with the option a new spoke "server
install" or "install from ks" since this concept can be expanded to
something like socialized installation under the name "share my
installation/desktop"

Apparently there have been alot of people interested in Linus Torvalds
desktop setup as can be seen on the internet, for the love of me I don't
understand why but it shows that there could be demand for something
like that.

Anyway that spoke would fetch that description file which contains the
summaries and their repo= urls present it in a nice way to the
Administrator and he then just selects eitther LAMP, JBoss, 389,Freeipa
and performs the install based on that ks file.

Simple efficient and easy to use/manage compared to producing 100 server
spins and above all allows the server sub-community have full control
over what goes in and what goes out ( rsyslog,sendmail )

JBG