Relying on $PATH in RPM scriplets

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Fri Jul 26 17:00:04 UTC 2013

On Fri, Jul 26, 2013 at 06:06:00PM +0200, Lukas Zapletal wrote:
> Hey,
>
> since we provide cloud images starting with Fedora 19, I noticed that
> cloud-init, which is used in these, does not execute user shell scripts
> with $PATH set properly which is causing issues for packages that does
> not provide full paths in scriplets.
>
> I know we have some examples which relies on $PATH set to at least
> /usr/bin and /sbin, for example:
>
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:UsersAndGroups
>
> I am searching for page that says one can rely on the $PATH. Cannot find
> it.

I searched the source for cloud-init in Rawhide, and it doesn't
mention PATH at all, except in one example.  So I conclude that
cloud-init doesn't set PATH at all and must get it from systemd.
(I can't find out what environment systemd sets up by default either ...
Ask Lennart?)

IMHO there's probably a case for filing a bug with upstream cloud-init
and getting them to drop something like:

  Environment=PATH=[some predictable path]

into cloud-init-0.7.2/systemd/cloud-*.service.

Rich.