Summary of accepted Fedora 20 Changes - week 30

David dgboles at gmail.com
Sat Jul 27 23:09:52 UTC 2013

On 7/27/2013 6:31 PM, David wrote:
> On 7/27/2013 6:10 PM, drago01 wrote:
>> On Sat, Jul 27, 2013 at 11:57 PM, Lars Seipel <lars.seipel at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> The thing is: is it acceptable that, in the process of reaching that
>>> goal, we end up alienating (a part of) the more technical userbase (who
>>> are much more likely contributors)?
>>
>> No one is alienating anyone. A "technical" user knows what he wants
>> and can do yum install sendmail/exim/postfix etc or add it to the
>> kickstart file.
>>
>> While the user that has no or little technical knowledge is unlikely
>> to remove the unnecessary stuff because if anything all he/show knows
>> is that "the operating system" is doing that.

Excuse me please.

Non programer. Non adimn. Non geek.

You have two paths.

You can continue down the one one you appear to be following where only
'geeks' can use Fedora. There are only so many 'geeks'.

Or?

You can try to develop a system that 'Grandma' can use to replace
Windows, that is  your goal is it not?, out of the box with a little
help. Or?  Grandma can buy, or get as a gift, a computer with Windows
that does that 'from the box'. With programs that install without
'jumping through hoops' while wearing strange costumes and reading
really confusing RTFM manuals to get them to work. *AND* programs that
don't require that grandma hunts for 'stuff' that the strange little man
with the strange name that lives in the cellar someplace in Estonia
stole and is offering for download.

Geeks can make 'whatever' work'.

Grandma needs a system that she can 'Skype' to the grand daughter.

To email her. to share pictures. To watch videos. Or?

You can 'geek' yourself out of the mainstream.

MHOP.

--

  David