Summary of accepted Fedora 20 Changes - week 30

Matthew Garrett mjg59 at srcf.ucam.org
Sun Jul 28 07:01:25 UTC 2013

On Sun, Jul 28, 2013 at 09:56:16AM +0300, Oron Peled wrote:
> On Saturday 27 July 2013 18:36:23 Matthew Garrett wrote:
> > Really? I'd expect most users to be using gmail at this point. Any
> > solution needs to account for them as well.
>
> 1. By the same logic we can ship just a browser, why bother building
>    LibreOffice if many use just google-docs?

Because not everyone uses Google Docs, and so any solution needs to
account for those who don't as well.

> 2. People can still use gmail and other online services like twitter
>    via desktop applications (in my case kmail and choqok respectively).

But most don't, and therefore an error reporting scheme that depends on
users running a local mail client is inappropriate.

> Last side note: helping non-expert people get used to quality local
> applications which have convenient defaults, is part of the push
> for "Freedom" -- if both your data and your applications are locked
> in vertical clouds, you aren't left with too much freedom.

There are benefits in running local applications, especially when it
comes to freedom. However, we are unable to force our users to run local
applications. We therefore need a mechanism for providing error data to
users that doesn't require them to run a local application.

Matthew Garrett | mjg59 at srcf.ucam.org