Obsoleting ConsoleKit once and for all

Dan Mashal dan.mashal at gmail.com
Sun Jul 28 11:30:56 UTC 2013

On Sun, Jul 28, 2013 at 4:24 AM, Christoph Wickert
<christoph.wickert at gmail.com> wrote:
> Am Sonntag, den 28.07.2013, 04:03 -0700 schrieb Dan Mashal:
>> Hi,
>>
>> After discussion on #fedora-devel, my MATE co-maintainer raveit65,
>> Kalev, Misc, and previous conversations with Rex, I am ready to retire
>> ConsoleKit.
>
> Others are not. I am pretty sure ConsoleKit is still needed by LXDM and
> slim as they don't support systemd-logind and by pcmamfm and thunar for
> handling permissions of removable devices.
>
>> LightDM seems to fully support systemd-logind.
>>

>> However I have no rights to commit to systemd.
>>
>> Lennart or any proven packager please add the following obsoletes tag
>> to systemd:
>>
>> obsoletes: ConsoleKit
>> obsoletes: ConsoleKit-x11
>> obsoletes: ConsoleKit-libs
>
> I don't see why we need to obsolete it at this point. Sure, at some
> point it needs to die, but your approach doesn't seem well thought
> through.
>
>> I will take care of testing, retiring and blocking the package.
>
> Are you planning other desktops, too? And what about window-managers?

Hi Chris,

I took ownership of ConsoleKit because I saw what a disaster it would
be to retire/block it when Lennart wanted to. I didnt realize so many
other things required. By all means add yourself as co maintainer and
lets work together to get this resolved.

For all I care the package can live until Fedora 30.

Dan