Doc dir related changes coming up

Björn Persson bjorn at xn--rombobjrn-67a.se
Mon Jul 29 18:38:21 UTC 2013

Miloslav Trmač wrote:
>For libraries it makes
>sense to separate end-user documentation (in %{name}) and programmer's
>documentation (in %{name}-devel).

If you're talking about packages, then yes, it makes perfect sense to
separate documentation into different subpackages. (Not that libraries
usually have much in the way of end-user documentation. There's often
little more than a license file in the main package.)

I'm not convinced that there is a real need to give each subpackage its
own directory in /usr/share/doc. Nothing prevents several packages from
installing files in the same directory, and name collisions are easy to
prevent when all of the packages are subpackages generated from the
same spec file. Several subpackages may need to own the same directory
but that's not a problem.

So I think the separate directories are a little bit silly but not
really a problem. In my previous message I mostly wanted to point out
the differences to make people aware of them.

However, if we want to switch to a single directory named after the
main package, then we should do it now. Once the documentation files
have stable pathnames we shouldn't change them again. (It may already be
too late. Has the mass rebuild begun yet?)

--
Björn Persson

Sent from my computer.