Default libkrb5 ccache location

Lennart Poettering mzerqung at 0pointer.de
Tue Jul 30 21:53:49 UTC 2013

On Tue, 30.07.13 08:07, Simo Sorce (simo at redhat.com) wrote:

> > The same component that creates the temporary directory?
> >
> > In pseudo code:
> >
> >    char temp[] = "/tmp/krb.XXXXXX", link[PATH_MAX];
> >    char *machine_id, *home;
> >
> >    mkdtemp(temp);
> >    machine_id = get_file_contents("/etc/machine_id");
> >    *strchrnul(machined_id, '\n') = 0;
> >    home = getenv("HOME);
> >    snprintf(link, "%s/.krb-%s", home, machine_id);
> >    symlink(temp, link);
> >
> > Of course, you should skip this if the symlink already exists and points
> > to a valid directory...
>
> This doesn't make any sense whatsoever, if we are back to unpredictable
> file names and trolling I may as well just use /tmp/krb5cc_XXXXXX
> only.
>
> Ccaches do not belong in the home directory, period.

Read again what I wrote above. The ccche is not in the home directory
following my proposal. Only a symlink to give it a stable name is. And
the ccache is stored in /tmp, i.e. on tmpfs.

> > That there's a sane cleanup scheme done via /tmp and not yet another
> > place where we have unrestricted runtime objects of the user.
>
> Except the stuff that cleans /tmp has no idea how to look *into* the
> ccache to see if it is still valid or not, so it is a mechanism I do not
> care for.

Well, I guess with your attitude you actually know already what you want
and do not care for the big picture, so I don't think we have to
continue the discussion.

Lennart

--
Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.