Fedora minimal install no tar tool?

Billy Crook billycrook at gmail.com
Tue Jul 30 21:44:36 UTC 2013

On Tue, Jul 30, 2013 at 4:27 PM, Adam Williamson <awilliam at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 2013-07-30 at 17:23 -0400, Douglas Schilling Landgraf wrote:
>> I have installed Fedora 17/18/19 (selected Minimal installation) from
>> DVD and it completed successfully, however there is no tar tool.

It's missing screen, vim, and a bunch of other "core" utilities too.
Fedora seems to be moving toward a @core that has essentially the
fewest packages possible to boot.

>> Was this change intentional? Thoughts?
>
> Why do you say 'change'? From a quick look in comps, tar has never been
> in the 'minimal' group (which was called @base up until a few releases
> ago and is now called @core).

What would it take to get a group like @core, but immediately usable
for most actual work (tar missing?  really?)?

I think there are a significant number of Fedora users, like Adam, and
myself, who would use this instead of @core, given the option.