Obsoleting ConsoleKit once and for all

Dan Mashal dan.mashal at gmail.com
Wed Jul 31 16:03:45 UTC 2013

On Wed, Jul 31, 2013 at 3:02 AM, Johannes Lips <johannes.lips at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 30, 2013 at 11:59 PM, Lennart Poettering <mzerqung at 0pointer.de>
> wrote:
>>
>> BOn Tue, 30.07.13 16:14, Dan Williams (dcbw at redhat.com) wrote:

>> > There's some interaction with ConsoleKit to ensure that the removable
>> >1;3406;0c storage is tied to a specific session so that the logged-in
>> > user can
>> > actually modify their USB drive.  Otherwise it's only accessible to
>> > 'root'.
>> >
>> > So yes, something *else* (HAL, udisks, etc) actually handles the
>> > mounting, but there's some other components involved in permissions and
>> > mount location, and that's where ConsoleKit helps out.
>>
>> But that's stuff that is hidden beneath udev/udisks not sure why a file
>> manager needs to know that...
>
> There is some stuff regarding thunar on this blog post by one of the thunar
> developers:
> http://gezeiten.org/post/2011/01/Xfce-4.8-on-BSD-flavors

Chris,

Please file a bug with various upstreams (if you haven't already) to
switch to udisks so we can retire ConsoleKit.

MATE no longer has any use for it and neither should XFCE. I only
picked up as a knee jerk reaction.  It shouldn't be that hard for
upstreams to move away from it. It wasn't for us.

Dan