Fedora Hosted Usability and Developer Experience

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Mon Jun 3 15:01:36 UTC 2013

On Sun, 2 Jun 2013 18:21:28 -0400
Rahul Sundaram <metherid at gmail.com> wrote:

> Personally,  I value that advantage and have advocated for free
> infrastructure and emphasized that while setting up Ask Fedora etc
> but the question really is, is that enough of an advantage on its own
> to continue investing in maintaining fedorahosted?  I don't think
> so.  It is very clear that majority of open source developers are
> just fine with using github for hosting their code and if you really
> want to provide a compelling alternative, you need to compete in ease
> of use, features etc.   If fedorahosted was the only reliable service
> that is using free software, I see a point in continuing with it but
> otherwise, what is the value of it over sf.net (which now develops
> and uses https://incubator.apache.org/projects/allura.html), gnu
> savannah, javaforge etc?

Well, there are a few things we can add/provide that other sites may
not wish too. For example, fedmsg integration or (once we have it up)
badges.

To some extent I think the audience for fedorahosted is different
(although perhaps overlapping with) github and the like. fedorahosted
is setup for a more 'traditional' open source project, where github is
setup for a more rapid/free flowing model.

kevin