Fedora 20 new planning process and schedules

Dan Mashal dan.mashal at gmail.com
Mon Jun 3 17:04:32 UTC 2013

On Mon, Jun 3, 2013 at 9:02 AM, Jaroslav Reznik <jreznik at redhat.com> wrote:
> Hi!
> Fedora 19 is close (let's hope it's alive) to the release and it's
> again the time to start planning for the upcoming version.
>
> For Fedora 20, in coordination with FESCo [1], the new Planning process
> was developed to replace the old, not satisfactory Feature process.
> In reality, it's pretty similar to the exercise we did for the
> Fedora 19 - with announcements, less burden for FESCo (and now also
> developers) for leaf, self contained changes and more time to
> coordinate system wide changes with impact to the rest of distribution
> and schedule. To emphasize the aim on the cross team/distribution
> coordination (development, documentation and marketing), Features are
> now called Changes.
>
> For the full description, policies and how-tos (to submit a proposal),
> see [2]. The new empty template is now available too, with detailed
> instructions how to fill it in.
>
> Again as we did for Fedora 19, final Fedora 20 schedule [3] will be
> based on the scope of submitted Change proposals. In the schedule,
> all milestones after the submission deadline are marked as "no earlier
> than" and we are not committed to make these dates! But this gives
> more information for non-development teams to plan Fedora 20 tasks.
>
> ===== IMPORTANT! =====
> Change Proposals Submission Deadline is set to 2013-07-16.
> ======================
>
> Don't hesitate to ask any question or we'll be more than happy to
> see more suggestions etc. For docs/marketing coordination more info
> will come via appropriate channels.
>
> PS1: Please, review your old Features that are in the Ready for Wrangler
> category (mostly as result of postponing F19 ones to F20) if you still
> plan to deliver them and let me know. I'll help you with transition
> to the new Change Proposal template.
>
> PS2: Flock talk/workshops are proposed for the new planning process,
> so we can follow up the FUDCon Lawrence discussion and also it
> will be right after Change freeze and I hope we will have more
> feedback and experiences with changes we made. Blog post with more
> details will follow soon.
>
> Jaroslav
>
> [1] https://fedorahosted.org/fesco/ticket/896
> [2] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/Policy
> [3] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Releases/20/Schedule

I'm kind of confused. Have we switched from wiki -> trac for some
features and not others?  Could you please elaborate a bit more?

What is a system wide change vs a self contained change vs a new change?

I see some features going to fesco as a ticket.. some requiring a wiki
page (which has yet to be created for f20..) So I'm a little confused.

Say a bump to MATE 1.8 is that a self containted change? IS
Enlightnment a new feature proposal? Could you please provide some
more definition and structure? I think all features should still be
documented on the wiki.

Dan