Call for Bikeshedding: remote auth at install time

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Tue Jun 4 02:02:46 UTC 2013

On Mon, 2013-06-03 at 21:53 -0400, Matthias Clasen wrote:
> On Mon, 2013-06-03 at 18:07 -0700, Adam Williamson wrote:
>
> > As things stand, in Fedora 19, it's basically impossible to configure
> > remote authentication from the install/firstboot process. If you want to
> > use remote auth, you'd have to create a local user first and then do it
> > using whatever tools are available. anaconda / initial-setup has a
> > button for "Use network login..." on its 'user creation' spoke which
> > ought to be where you configure remote auth, but right now it does
> > precisely nothing at all.
>
> We've fixed the remote auth support in gnome-initial-setup in
> https://admin.fedoraproject.org/updates/FEDORA-2013-9570/gnome-initial-setup-0.11-1.fc19
> so it is not entirely impossible anymore.

I was trying to glide right by that one without introducing unnecessary
complexity into the discussion - I've found people who haven't actually
experienced both paths have a hard time wrapping their heads around The
Great Initial Setup Dichotomy.

But yes, in F19 Beta it was broken in g-i-s too, but soon it should not
be. But we have a fully-supported paths which never hit g-i-s at all - a
KDE install, a minimal install - so I think we can actually skate right
by it for the purpose of this discussion.

Basically, we (as in, the people who do blocker review) need to know if
remote auth at install/firstboot time is really important. Once we know
that, we can go out and get the blocker decisions against anaconda, i-s,
g-i-s, whatever else correct. Just trust us, and answer the initial
question. We're doctors. :)
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey