Call for Bikeshedding: remote auth at install time

Tony Breeds tony at bakeyournoodle.com
Tue Jun 4 03:38:14 UTC 2013

On Mon, Jun 03, 2013 at 06:07:59PM -0700, Adam Williamson wrote:

> Whether this is a blocker or not comes down to a judgement call, because
> it hinges on whether this is a significant inconvenience for a large
> enough number of users. So we need to know from people who use Fedora in
> remote auth environments whether it's a big problem not to be able to
> set it up at install / firstboot time, or whether you'd be okay with
> creating a local user to get through initial-setup and then configuring
> remote auth from that local account.

So my personal experience with Fedora (going back to Fedora 12) in an
environment with nwtwork auth is that it never worked at install time. I
always eneded up createing a local account and then configuring the
network auth from there.  Sure I tried it when I could but when it
didn't work well I just ignored it and moved on.

If I'd thought it was more of an issue I would have filed bugs but it
was always an "it'd be nice" not a "must have".  I don't even recall
seeing an option for F18, and haven't tried the F19 betas myself.

Oh and black and blue stripes is the ONLY option for any bikesehd.

Yours Tony