Fedora 20 new planning process and schedules

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Wed Jun 5 13:30:53 UTC 2013

On Wed, Jun 05, 2013 at 06:15:58 -0700,
   Dan Mashal <dan.mashal at gmail.com> wrote:
>On Tue, Jun 4, 2013 at 7:30 AM, Josh Boyer <jwboyer at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Sure.  FESCo doesn't care if it's a feature or not.
>>
>> That's why it's no longer called the Feature process.  FESCo is an
>> engineering committee and has no business determining if something is
>> a Feature in an upcoming release of the distro.  That is a marketing
>> task.  The new process focuses on technical changes within the distro
>> and whether those changes require cooperation between maintainers or
>> additional help or oversight.
>
>Maybe I still misunderstand, but what this email says is instead of
>FESCo, an educated group of people deciding on features that can be
>extremely technical, they have no business either making even a
>recommendation and marketing is now handling this?

Part of the old feature process was letting users and potential users
know about new features supported by Fedora. These messages were typcially
not technical, but marketting oriented. If there weren't technical issues
with implementing such a feature, then there was no reason to have FESCO
rubber stamp it.

>I took my meeting with FESCo very seriously and I actually got some
>tough questions that actually made me question myself for a second. I
>don't know I'd get these type of questions from marketing.

Changes that significantly impact other packagers or how Fedora works should
still go through FESCO for review. But some of those changes might not need
to be marketted, depending on their effect on end users.