Fixing proxy support in Fedora (was Re: Orphaning few packages)

David Woodhouse dwmw2 at infradead.org
Fri Jun 7 23:46:54 UTC 2013

On Fri, 2013-06-07 at 13:08 +0100, David Woodhouse wrote:
>  The PAC setting is clearly *in* the DHCP response
> and machines using ConnMan pick it up and use it correctly.

Actually it turns out NetworkManager is also picking it up. It doesn't
*do* anything with it, but it does at least make it available to a
dispatcher script.

So I've done a *really* naïve one which will detect when there is only
one network that's "really" in use — i.e. a single physical device, or a
full-tunnel VPN so that nothing else is really being used anyway. And
will attempt to use the DHCP proxy information, or wpad.$domain/wpad.dat
based on the search domains. It's in https://bugzilla.gnome.org/701824

It basically works on my home network (DHCP) and when I start up a
full-tunnel VPN, although it's mostly designed as a straw man to provoke
someone more clueful into doing a better job :)

For the case where we have split tunnelling¹, it's a bit more complex.
I've punted that and just disable the proxy for now. Eventually we could
perhaps craft a proxy PAC script which uses the other interfaces' PAC
scripts as subroutines, and invokes them as appropriate according to the
domain/IP in the requested URL.

But one thing at a time...

--
dwmw2

¹ Which should, but doesn't yet, include the case of a full-tunnel VPN
  that only does Legacy IP, while the physical device has IPv6
  connectivity.