Bad file access on the rise

Matthew Garrett mjg59 at srcf.ucam.org
Sat Jun 8 05:36:38 UTC 2013

On Fri, Jun 07, 2013 at 05:24:30PM -0400, Steve Grubb wrote:

> Hmm...sounds like kernel change. But in the meantime, most of the offenders I
> see seem to have something to do with loading icons:

Sounds like code that doesn't differentiate between files that are in
user-local directories and system-global directories. That's something
that could presumably be fixed, but it seems like a bunch of effort.
Other than a heuristic based on whether a path is in the user's home
directory or not, the only way to avoid this is to stat before opening -
and that's obviously prone to failure.

Matthew Garrett | mjg59 at srcf.ucam.org