rng-tools rawhide alert

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Mon Jun 10 16:21:58 UTC 2013

Le Lun 10 juin 2013 17:20, Bruno Wolff III a écrit :
> On Mon, Jun 10, 2013 at 10:21:22 +0200,
>    Nicolas Mailhot <nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net> wrote:
>>Hi,
>>
>>Just a warning for those like me that had activated rngd in the hope
>>Fedora could someday make some use of the tpm sucking electricity on
>> their
>>mobo. In rawhide, instead of barfing a few error messages at boot
>>complaining about tpm init errors, kernel/systemd/udev/whatever loops on
>>the error message. As a result your /var/log partition will fill up
>> faster
>>than you can blink. (and if your logs are on / lots of innocent
>> bystanders
>>will be harmed)
>
> I don't seem to be having any trouble with it on a machine that was
> rebooted
> 4 days ago. Though also my hardware rng isn't a tpm. Did this start very
> recently?

$ du -hs /var/log/messages*
178M	/var/log/messages
1,5M	/var/log/messages-20130519
3,3M	/var/log/messages-20130526
1,4M	/var/log/messages-20130602

-> so till the 20130602 log rotation everything was fine, and the two
following log files are missing since I nuked them this morning (they were
around 15-30 GB each). Whatever changed changed in the last week

$ grep 'rngd: Error reading from TPM, no entropy gathered'
/var/log/messages |wc -l
379100

Regards,

--