F18 => F19 update adventures

"Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" johannbg at gmail.com
Tue Jun 11 07:47:57 UTC 2013

On 06/11/2013 06:38 AM, James Hogarth wrote:

> > What do administrators have to do to prevent being migrated from
> mysql to mariadb on upgrades?
> >

> If you would prefer to use community-mysql rather than follow onto
> MariaDB I suspect the safest thing would be take a backup (you do that
> anyway right?) and just doing this from the filesystem is probably the
> simplest way.
>
> Then use a supported method to upgrade to F19 ... Either remove mysql
> before this or remove mariadb after this.

For the first we should not be migrating users on upgrades to another DB
solution regardless if it's an fork or not of the already installed DB
and we continue to ship it, secondly if we *must* do that ( which is it
is not in this case since we are continuing to package and ship mysql )
we should have an opt out way for administrators to do so at upgrade
time instead of having them to backtrack all the migration steps and
revert them followed by them finally having to remove mariadb in this
case an simply big fat warning presented at the end user during the
upgrade phaze which offers him to opt out migration and continue to use
MySQL...

JBG