F20 System Wide Change: python-setuptools update to 0.7.x

Jaroslav Reznik jreznik at redhat.com
Tue Jun 11 11:48:37 UTC 2013

= Proposed System Wide Change: python-setuptools update to 0.7.x =
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/Python_setuptools_0.7

Change owner(s): Toshio Kuratomi <toshio at fedoraproject.org> with help from
Bohuslav Kabrda, Nick Coghlin, and the Python SIG

Update to a new upstream release of python-setuptools that is not completely
compatible with previous releases.

== Detailed description ==
python-setuptools is used as a buildtime dependency in many packages. It is
also a runtime dependency for some packages where it provides a way to load
plugins, load data files, and specify what versions of dependent packages are
needed. In Fedora, we also make use of its multiversioning features to install
some backwards compatibility packages.

The upstream for the python setuptools package has been in a maintenance mode
for many years. During that time we have been shipping a fork, python-
distribute, which has added bugfixes and python3 compatibility but not
significantly altered the API. Just recently, python-setuptools upstream has
become active and released a new version that merges the two forks and is not
completely API compatible. As the older versions won't see bug fixes anymore,
we need to move to this new version but there could be some usages that are
broken by the new version.