debuginfo package

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Tue Jun 11 13:59:15 UTC 2013

On Tue, Jun 11, 2013 at 03:24:51PM +0200, Jan Kratochvil wrote:
> On Tue, 11 Jun 2013 13:37:09 +0200, Peter Hatina wrote:
> > cpio: wireshark-1.2.15/asn1/x509if/packet-x509if-dis-tab.c: Cannot stat:
> > No such file or directory
> [...]
> > Does find-debuginfo.sh get confused, or where do those non-existing
> > files come from?
>
> They come from #line cpp directives which get compiled into .debug_line DWARF
> section (readelf -wl or readelf -wL) and rpmbuild extracts them using:
>
> $ /usr/lib/rpm/debugedit --help
>   -l, --list-file=STRING     file where to put list of source and header file names

Interesting .. that explains a bug in OCaml builds too:

[source: http://kojipkgs.fedoraproject.org//packages/libguestfs/1.23.3/1.fc20/data/logs/x86_64/build.log]

| cpio: libguestfs-1.23.3/resize/list.ml: Cannot stat: No such file or directory
| cpio: libguestfs-1.23.3/resize/str.ml: Cannot stat: No such file or directory
| cpio: libguestfs-1.23.3/resize/string.ml: Cannot stat: No such file or directory

This is probably incorrect DWARF information.  Modules like 'list.ml'
are actually from the OCaml stdlib, so the paths should refer to
%{_libdir}/ocaml/list.ml etc.  However we don't in fact ship those
files at all in the OCaml compiler binary package.

BTW, `eu-readelf -w /usr/bin/virt-resize' didn't show anything
suspicious.

| cpio: ocaml-4.00.1/stdlib: Cannot stat: No such file or directory
| cpio: ocaml-4.00.1/stdlib/std_exit.ml: Cannot stat: No such file or directory

These paths are very strange.  They are source paths inside the OCaml
compiler source package.  I've no idea how they end up being displayed
during the build of something unrelated.

Note that the OCaml compiler generates its own DWARF.  It's got
nothing to do with gcc.

Rich.