Installing a very old Fedora (FC6) in a chroot?

Björn Esser bjoern.esser at gmail.com
Wed Jun 12 12:56:10 UTC 2013

Am Mittwoch, den 12.06.2013, 08:44 -0400 schrieb Martin Langhoff:
> To test / bench / verify old behaviour of PHP4, I need to install FC6
> in a chroot.
>
> Mock doesn't seem to work, given a reasoanble config file pointing to
> the archive repo. Are there any good / recommended alternatives? Or is
> mock expected to work?
>
> cheers,

> --
>  martin.langhoff at gmail.com
>  -  ask interesting questions
>  ~ http://docs.moodle.org/en/User:Martin_Langhoff

Hello Martin!

If there was yum in fc6 (I don't know) you can setup a
yum.repos.d-config for fc6 and do something:

  yum --disablerepo=* --enablerepo=fc6 --installroot="$chroot_dir" \
  --nogpgcheck -y install yum

mount all needed:

  mount -t proc foo $chroot_dir/proc
  mount -t sysfs foo $chrrot_dir/sys
  chroot $chroot_dir /bin/bash --login

remove rpm-database and related stuff afterwards and reinit:

  cd /var/lib/rpm && rm -rf * && rpm --initdb

re-populate rpmdb with installed pkgs:

  yum install yum

Afterwards you can setup everything else.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
  Björn