F20 System Wide Change: Perl 5.18

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Wed Jun 12 17:38:34 UTC 2013

On Tue, 11 Jun 2013 10:56:32 +0200
Jaroslav Reznik <jreznik at redhat.com> wrote:

> = Proposed System Wide Change: Perl 5.18 =
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/perl5.18
>
> Change owner(s): Petr Písař <ppisar at redhat.com>, Jitka Plesníková
> <jplesnik at redhat.com>
>
> A new perl 5.18 version brings a lot of changes done over a year of
> development. See [1] for more details.
>
> == Detailed description ==
> New perl is released every year and updates containing mainly bug
> fixes follow during the year. The 5.18.0 version is stable release
> this year and 5.18.1 and subsequent revisions will follow during the
> year to fix issues introduced in 5.18.0.
>
> Because of change in dlopen(3) from RTLD_GLOBAL to RTLD_LOCAL (bug
> #960048) [2], we will try to link all native perl module DSOs to
> libperl.so explicitly. This item needs discussion. Current status
> does not allow to use perl interpreter via dlopen() from other
> programs (like slapd, snmpd), but proposed change can bring other
> unforeseen difficulties (like double-linking).

So, there's nothing preventing the side tag and rebuild anytime now
right? 5.18.0 is out, so we could start that work in rawhide?

On the dlopen thing, what happens if you hit double-linking there?
Thats just a runtime error, not a build time error? is there any tools
we have to detect this?

Otherwise looks good to me.

kevin