bugzilla.redhat.com vs upstream bug trackers

Jaroslav Reznik jreznik at redhat.com
Mon Jun 17 15:34:41 UTC 2013

----- Original Message -----
> Am 17.06.2013 15:00, schrieb Orcan Ogetbil:
> > On Mon, Jun 17, 2013 at 4:52 AM, Florian Weimer wrote:
> >> I would like to avoid creating accounts in gazillion upstream bug
> >> trackers,
> >
> > Aha! Should the package maintainers play the middle man in the
> > gazillion upstream bug tracker accounts? This sounds neither very
> > thoughtful nor quite efficient.
>
> i expect a *package maintain er* has already a account in the upstream
> tracker of packages he maintains - nobody says he needs a gazillion
> accounts, but usually he has for the packages he maintains
>
> the ordinary user has a few thousand packages installed
>
> >> so bugzilla.redhat.com as a single point of contact is very helpful to me.
> >
> > I wish life was that easy!
>
> it should be that easy
>
> answering in a bugreport "file the bugreport upstream" is the best
> way after the third time never ever get any bugrpeort from this
> person

I really don't want to repeat this neverending thread again but it's
all about attitude of maintainer. If you get "file the bugreport upstream
DOT" - without explanation, without reason. Yes - it's definitely the
last report from that person. If you politely ask to report bug upstream,
as it's really upstream job, you don't want to be man in the middle, but
you CC on the bug and offer a help in case of problems or just say - if
you can't report upstream, we will help you, you will actually get one
more contributor. And I'd say it's our job too.

And yeah, I'm not saying it's easy - different bug reporting tools,
different workflows. Especially for very specific ones without any
documentation, maintainer should be that one who offers help first.

My 1 CZK.

Jaroslav