bugzilla.redhat.com vs upstream bug trackers

Richard Shaw hobbes1069 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 17 16:20:56 UTC 2013

On Mon, Jun 17, 2013 at 10:55 AM, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" <
johannbg at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 06/17/2013 03:42 PM, Jeffrey Ollie wrote:
>
>> 3) Even though I'm an excellent programmer, well versed in C and
>>
> Python, and decent in Perl, Ruby, et. al.  I probably don't have the
>> familiarity with the codebase to even know where to start looking for
>> a bug.
>>

> If you aren't familiar with the component you are packaging and
> maintaining why are you doing it et all?

I think that's a bit unfair. While it's certainly helpful, it's not a
requirement, to be a programmer in order to be a packager. I know very
little C, some python, but I've learned quite a bit about building and
packaging over the last few years.

You often end up with packages that you need for various reasons, but that
doesn't mean you're intimately familiar with all of them.

Richard