bugzilla.redhat.com vs upstream bug trackers

Ian Pilcher arequipeno at gmail.com
Mon Jun 17 23:43:46 UTC 2013

On 06/17/2013 04:49 PM, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" wrote:
> The only difference is that I would add step number five acting as the
> liaison between upstream and downstream for reporters which to me is
> unavoidable for a packager/maintainer from my pov.

+1

I think that this is where a Fedora packager can add a ton of value,
even without deep knowledge of the code being packaged.

A lot of open source development communities are -- dare I say it --
fairly cliquish.  A random end-user's bug reports or questions are
often pretty much ignored.  (I recognize that this isn't out of malice,
BTW.  Everyone is busy and we all have to do a sort of "social triage"
to stay sane.)  In many cases, the Fedora packager has built up a level
of credibility with the development community that could get a bug
report the attention that it deserves.