bugzilla.redhat.com vs upstream bug trackers

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Tue Jun 18 16:36:12 UTC 2013

On Tue, 18 Jun 2013 08:58:04 +0800
Christopher Meng <cickumqt at gmail.com> wrote:

> Is it possible to add a virtual team for each package(or some
> packages with a lot of bugs)?

yes, we have done so for a number of places. Currently the 'teams' are
just an alias however. Hopefully in pkgdb2.0 we will finally have some
real support for groups of people.

> I mean, since upstream may ignore the bugs in bugzilla, we can add a
> maintainer team like kernel,  or a sig like java, to cope with many
> bugs reported everyday if some programs really have so many. And this
> team/sig contains email address of upstream developers if they are
> willing to get notifications of bugs in bugzilla but don't wish to
> create an account.

I suppose, but creating an account is pretty easy, doing things with an
alias means they actually will have less control over what is sending
them email, so I suspect not many people would go for this.

> I think being a liaison is not only
> I wish abrt can report bugs to external bug trackers,  but it's
> impossible. And some upstream developers may not interested in
> bugzilla, too.

Sure, there's no one true answer here. Every package/upstream is
different, IMHO.

kevin