Fedora 19 Final status, testing/karma requests and needed fixes

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Wed Jun 19 01:02:35 UTC 2013

It feels like time for a status summary mail again!

Fedora 19 Final TC5 is the current compose: it contains most of the
final churn for F19, change should be fairly restricted from here on
out. So this is a good time to take stock of where we are and get all
testing done.

tl;dr summary
-------------

Desktop team: please look at reducing size of desktop live (958426)
Installer team: please fix 924162
Selinux team: please roll a new selinux-policy ASAP (964006)
Releng team: when a new selinux-policy is available, roll some new cloud
test images (964006)

Karma required for:

https://admin.fedoraproject.org/updates/gnome-initial-setup-0.12-1.fc19
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/updates/gnome-packagekit-3.8.2-2.fc19
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/updates/livecd-tools-19.5-1.fc19
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/updates/python-meh-0.25-1.fc19
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/updates/xorg-x11-drv-qxl-0.1.1-0.9.20130514git77a1594.fc19

Blocker status
--------------

https://qa.fedoraproject.org/blockerbugs/milestone/19/final/buglist is
the current list of proposed and accepted blockers and freeze exception
bugs.

There are a half dozen proposed blockers that we will be voting on at
tomorrow's blocker review meeting. Please do come out to the blocker
review meeting and provide your input if you possibly can, especially if
you're a reporter of a proposed blocker or a maintainer of an affected
component.

975159 	anaconda 	MODIFIED 	UnicodeDecodeError: 'ascii' codec can't decode byte 0xc4 in position 0: ordinal not in range(128)
975537 	anaconda 	ASSIGNED 	BootLoaderError: failed to remove old efi boot entry
974711 	fedora-logos 	NEW 		Drop HAL and beefy install 'ad banners' for F19 final(?)
975204 	mesa 		MODIFIED 	radeon card lost opengl 3.1 support
974691 	rsyslog 	NEW 		Since cleaning up from #974132, nothing gets written to /var/log/messages
679486 	xorg-x11-xauth 	ASSIGNED 	Liveinst doesn't start if hostname changes

Here's the status of the accepted blockers:

964586 - "Anaconda does not isntall ntfs tools to allow OS-Prober to
find windows partition and therefore creates no grub.cfg entry" - this
ought to be fixed in Final TC5 and just needs to be tested. The test is
to do a (BIOS) minimal install of Fedora 19 alongside a (BIOS) install
of Windows and check that a grub entry for the Windows install is
created.

971191 - "DVD install option unavailable in TUI" - a fix for this
narrowly missed TC5, and will be in the next build. We could test it
with an updates.img in the mean time.

971763 - "disable updates-testing" - this is mostly a 'reminder' bug to
put a 'final' version of fedora-release into RC1. No action needed yet.

968951 - "g-i-s created user's accounts and settings are copied to new
users created after g-i-s completes but before a reboot" - the fix for
this is in Final TC5, I have verified it appears to work. Further
verification would be welcome, and the update that fixes it -
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/updates/gnome-initial-setup-0.12-1.fc19
- needs karma.

969852 - "Software Update fails to update" - two people have verified
the fix for this. The update that fixes it -
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/updates/gnome-packagekit-3.8.2-2.fc19 -
needs karma.

958426 - "19 Final TC1 x86_64 Desktop Live is oversized (larger than 1
GB)" - we need the desktop team to look at fixing this. At this point,
as noted above, repo and spin-kickstarts churn should be mostly done, so
now's the time to take a look at what's in the TC5 image and start
cutting.

974784 - "live image composing in koji broken" - the fix for this,
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/updates/livecd-tools-19.5-1.fc19 , is
clearly good, or else we wouldn't have TC5 lives. The update has
sufficient karma to go stable, so no action needed here.

974032 - "bug reporting doesn't work from LiveCD" - the update that
fixes this just barely missed TC5. It may be possible to test it by
booting the TC5 live and doing 'yum update python-meh' before
installing, otherwise it may have to wait for TC6. The update that
should fix it,
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/updates/python-meh-0.25-1.fc19 , needs
karma.

964006 - "cloud-init hostname service failing on initial boot" - we have
initial indication that the planned fix for this works, but we need a
new selinux-policy to be built and new cloud images built with that
selinux-policy to confirm.

974198 - "missing letters on various anaconda screens with spice
graphics" - the fix for this has been reported to work by one tester,
but it'd be good if other testers could confirm it. The update that
fixes it -
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/updates/xorg-x11-drv-qxl-0.1.1-0.9.20130514git77a1594.fc19 - needs karma.

924162 - "A software selection with dependency errors is allowed to
proceed if the dependency check runs twice" - we are waiting on a fix
for this one. Looks like progress is being made in that direction,
though.

Test coverage
-------------

QA folks, we need to fill out as much of:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Test_Results:Fedora_19_Final_TC5_Install
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Test_Results:Fedora_19_Final_TC5_Base
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Test_Results:Fedora_19_Final_TC5_Desktop

as we can manage. In particular we should hit up the tests identified in
https://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/test/2013-June/116285.html as
not yet having been run against any Final build. The usual suspects -
the awkward tests that require bare metal, copies of Windows, UEFI
systems, specific hardware, or awkward test setups - remain un-covered;
we need to hit them up ASAP to find any blockers lurking there.

Thanks everyone! Let's go for Final release on schedule :)
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey