Getting rid of systemd-sysv-convert?

Lennart Poettering mzerqung at 0pointer.de
Thu Jun 20 15:17:34 UTC 2013

On Thu, 20.06.13 08:48, Jon Ciesla (limburgher at gmail.com) wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 20, 2013 at 8:42 AM, Miloslav Trmač <mitr at volny.cz> wrote:
>
> > On Thu, Jun 20, 2013 at 3:18 PM, Lennart Poettering
> > <mzerqung at 0pointer.de> wrote:
> > > When systemd was first adopted by Fedora a requirement mandated by FESCO
> > > (or was it FPC?) was that the script "systemd-sysv-convert" (which I
> > > wrote) should be added which is supposed to save the old runlevel
> > > configuration of sysv scripts before we replace them with systemd units.
> > <snip>
> > > it is pretty much unused
> >
> > The policy for the FPC to decide, let me just add some data:
> > > $ repoquery --whatrequires systemd-sysv --qf '%{name}' |sort -u|wc -l
> > > 186
> > including packages like avahi.
> >      Mirek
>

> As much as I'd like to see it go, I don't think we should until we're a lot
> farther along the SysV->systemd migration path, just as a practical
> matter.  I don't think removing this tool now will help us travel farther
> along it.  There are other obstacles, to be sure, but I think anything we
> can keep in place to facilitate migration is a good thing.

Well, to turn this around: what benefit does the systemd-sysv-convert
tool bring regarding the migration path? I don't see any. (note that
this tool is -- despite its name -- not a tool that wil convert sysv
scripts to systemd units. Not at all. It's supposed to record in which
runlevels a service was enabled before the migration for reference by
the admin later on (this is stored in the file
/var/lib/systemd/sysv-convert/database).

If we drop this now then the migration certainly becomes a bit easier,
since the scriptlets become much shorter, and easier for people to
understand -- and who likes rpm triggers anyway?

Note that systemd-sysv-convert is a tool that is supposed to be useful
for admins, not for packagers or developers. And I simply don't see that
admins accepted that tool and ever made use of it.

Lennart

--
Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.