Minimal install diff from F16 to F19 (TC6)

Colin Walters walters at verbum.org
Thu Jun 20 18:49:52 UTC 2013

On Thu, 2013-06-20 at 12:13 -0600, Eric Smith wrote:
> Does NM in F19 support statically assigning multiple subnets to the
> same physical interface, WITHOUT using VLANs?

Yes.  You can easily do this in the GNOME Control center, just try it.
Click "Manual", and then the "+" will allow adding multiple IPv4 (or
IPv6) addresses to a single interface.

> With the old-style network configuration, it was easy to manually
> configure this by creating /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/eth3:<n>
> config files.

As Tomaz mentions that's the legacy way; what NM writes into the
network-scripts when you do the above is the modern way.

>  Also, it was very easy to automate creating and
> removing them, while I have yet to be successful scripting changes to
> NM configurations, though probably I'm overlooking some simple way of
> doing that.

The new nmcli will help here...could possibly land in a post-release
update.  But if you look at what NM writes for the above you can see how
it works:

HWADDR=52:54:00:98:A4:04
TYPE=Ethernet
BOOTPROTO=none
IPADDR0=10.76.76.76
PREFIX0=24
GATEWAY0=10.0.0.1
IPADDR1=10.42.42.42
PREFIX1=24
GATEWAY1=10.42.42.1
DEFROUTE=yes
IPV4_FAILURE_FATAL=no
IPV6INIT=yes
IPV6_AUTOCONF=yes
IPV6_DEFROUTE=yes
IPV6_PEERDNS=yes
IPV6_PEERROUTES=yes
IPV6_FAILURE_FATAL=no
NAME="Wired connection 2"
UUID=f5480bfe-f4df-4cc9-ab7d-ccb778a6727a
ONBOOT=yes