Minimal install diff from F16 to F19 (TC6)

Chris Adams linux at cmadams.net
Thu Jun 20 19:06:03 UTC 2013

Once upon a time, Matthew Miller <mattdm at fedoraproject.org> said:
> Hence, the RFE -- a mode which sets up the above, and then goes away.

I had not seen that mode (or a request for it).  That would be nice.  In
a perfect world (hah!), replacing "ifup" and "ifdown" with scripts that
just make the appropriate "nmcli" (or whatever) calls would be awesome,
as long as NM supports all the old functionality.

> There are significant advantages to having a single code path for network
> configuration on the system -- easier support, simpler documenation, easier
> administration between multiple systems, easier development of new
> distribution features overall. But the condition you give is very important
> too -- that's why the "traditional" system is still there in parallel right
> now.

That would be cool; I understand reducing methods reduces support
overhead.  Please don't take my email as throwing stones; I was trying
to _not_ do that, just point out why in some situations sysadmins
sometimes avoid NM.

I understand that the old-style network scripts are a maze of twisty
little passages, all different, and trying to replace all the
functionality that people use is not trivial.
--
Chris Adams <linux at cmadams.net>