Minimal install diff from F16 to F19 (TC6)

Dan Williams dcbw at redhat.com
Thu Jun 20 19:13:42 UTC 2013

On Thu, 2013-06-20 at 14:06 -0500, Chris Adams wrote:
> Once upon a time, Matthew Miller <mattdm at fedoraproject.org> said:
> > Hence, the RFE -- a mode which sets up the above, and then goes away.
>
> I had not seen that mode (or a request for it).  That would be nice.  In
> a perfect world (hah!), replacing "ifup" and "ifdown" with scripts that
> just make the appropriate "nmcli" (or whatever) calls would be awesome,
> as long as NM supports all the old functionality.

nmcli doesn't work unless NM is running, since it talks to NM to do
stuff, so it would be incompatible with NM setting things up and
quitting.

> > There are significant advantages to having a single code path for network
> > configuration on the system -- easier support, simpler documenation, easier
> > administration between multiple systems, easier development of new
> > distribution features overall. But the condition you give is very important
> > too -- that's why the "traditional" system is still there in parallel right
> > now.
>
> That would be cool; I understand reducing methods reduces support
> overhead.  Please don't take my email as throwing stones; I was trying
> to _not_ do that, just point out why in some situations sysadmins
> sometimes avoid NM.

And we'd love to understand those situations and see what we can do to
make sysadmins happier with NM.  Including things like cooperating with
changes made to interfaces underneath NM, server-type config options
(locking connections via interface name, manual config updates instead
of watching files, not creating default DHCP connections for ethernet
interfaces, etc).

Dan