Minimal install diff from F16 to F19 (TC6)

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Thu Jun 20 15:40:25 UTC 2013

Am 20.06.2013 17:37, schrieb Matthew Miller:
> On Thu, Jun 20, 2013 at 05:08:48PM +0200, Reindl Harald wrote:
>>> We are on track to replace the "legacy" network and firewall init scripts
>>> with these. It's a slow track, but that's the direction
>> *do not* remove iptables.service for a lot od reason explained
>> often enough as well as NM is utterly useless on servers and
>> workstations with several *static* configured NIC's
>
> Well, like I just said, it's a slow track. I certainly am vigorously opposed
> to removing it before the replacement has the same functionality and
> reliability

NM does not need to have functionality on servers, the opposite is true
firewalld does not need to have functionality on servers, the opposite is true

especially in case of iptables.service in fact firewalld doe snothing
else than write iptables-rules, they are written on thousands of machines
in large and over years maintained SHELL-SCRIPTS often *distributed*
over 10, 20, 30 machines with $HOSTNAME conditions

you do not need to replace this, hence iptables.service does nothing
else than load the this way written rules at startup