FYI: F20 Feature: Migrate to Bluez5

Bastien Nocera bnocera at redhat.com
Fri Jun 21 15:29:30 UTC 2013

On Fri, 2013-06-21 at 17:16 +0200, Kalev Lember wrote:
> 2013-05-06 11:13, Peter Robinson skrev:
> > On Mon, May 6, 2013 at 8:35 AM, Bastien Nocera <bnocera at redhat.com> wrote:
> >> Heya,
> >>
> >> In Fedora 20, we'll be using BlueZ 5.x to manage Bluetooth devices.
> >>
> >> Bluez5 uses a D-Bus API that's not compatible with Bluez4[1] and as
> >> such, management applications and a number of libraries and daemons will
> >> need to be ported.
> >>
> >> For GNOME 3.10 (due September 2013), Gustavo Padovan and I are going to
> >> be porting gnome-bluetooth, NetworkManager and PulseAudio to BlueZ5.
> >> Packages for BlueZ5 will be available as soon as we figure out how to
> >> integrate a few downstream features that were in the Fedora packages.
> >>
> >> Bluez4 and Bluez5 are not parallel-installable, and incompatible, so
> >> other applications relying on Bluez4 will need to be ported by their
> >> respective maintainers.
> >

> > Any analysis to what packages are affected, how many are yet to
> > support the new API and how hard it will be for them to be ported
> > over.
>
> I took a look to see what the impact would be. I am not a BlueZ expert,
> so Bastien, please correct me if I am wrong somewhere.
>
> BlueZ ships a daemon and provides two main interfaces for applications
> to use it:
>
>  1) libbluetooth shared library
>
>  2) org.bluez DBus API
>
> The TL;DL version is that in my findings, the only package that still
> needs porting to bluez 5 is blueman. Others should either just continue
> working, or need new versions packaged up.
<snip>
> The following use the DBus API:
>
> blueman         [Status: needs porting to 5.x]
> gnome-bluetooth [Status: ported]
> libbluedevil    [Status: port available in a git branch,
>                  https://git.reviewboard.kde.org/r/108912/]
> pulseaudio      [Status: ported]

And NetworkManager. There's probably a number of applications that use
bluez via D-Bus without requiring it as a dependency if the
functionality isn't the main one, so there's likely going to be other
impacted packages.

NetworkManager is in the process of being ported.

You're also missing obex-data-server, obsoleted and not ported to BlueZ
5, which is used by gnome-user-share (patches are upstream to be ported)
and gvfs-obexftp (won't be ported).

Cheers