Minimal install diff from F16 to F19 (TC6)

Till Maas opensource at till.name
Sat Jun 22 15:07:19 UTC 2013

On Fri, Jun 21, 2013 at 12:09:57PM -0500, Dan Williams wrote:

> > On the other hand, having NetworkManager available all the time enables
> > things like management tools to use its API to query system status,
> > instead of guessing it from kernel information and heuristic analysis of
> > some files under /etc.
>
> Exactly.  And that's why we want to enhance NetworkManager to make
> people *want* to use it instead of turning it off.

Features I am missing are:

- A possibility to make NM ignore an interface from the management
  tools, which would allow to normally use NM but disable it if one
  wants to configure a device on the command line. Having to disable
  interfaces from /etc/sysconfig to be able to use them without NM
  interfering makes it more cumbersome to use NM at all.

- Support NM not interfering with Wi-Fi attack tools such as
  aircrack-ng, which might only be possible by ignoring the device
  completely or by adding support to change devices into monitor mode
  and select static of changing frequencies etc. Probably the features
  airmon-ng provides would be necessary.

- Allow to create tun/tap devices, especially persisted ones with
  permissions for users

Should I file RFEs for these in Red Hat Bugzilla or is there a
better place to communicate them to?

Regards
Till