Fedora 19 Final blocker status: fix and karma requests

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Sun Jun 23 04:54:53 UTC 2013

On Sat, 2013-06-22 at 18:51 -0500, Michael Catanzaro wrote:
> On Sat, 2013-06-22 at 11:00 -0400, Matthias Clasen wrote:
> > I've filed an update with some 20 packages, only removing excess baggage
> > from /usr/share/doc (duplicate docs, large ChangeLog files, etc). It
> > touches nothing outside /usr/share/doc, so should be fairly safe to let
> > in. That will probably only get us part of the way, so I've also cut
> > some more things from the package set in the .ks file (gnome-system-log,
> > deja-dup).
> That's a shame; Deja Dup is an excellent GNOME 3 backup app, and
> including it by default encourages good (encrypted) backup habits.
>
> But I guess something has to go if we care about 1 GB.  (It just seems
> like such a strange target... I don't think you can buy 1 GB USB sticks
> anymore.)

It was the next 'obvious step up' from 700MB, and at the time was
comfortable enough for everything we really needed. Stuff happened.

Desktop team might be able to rejig things early in F20 cycle somehow,
or we might have to go up in size again.

Going too big does have consequences: a, say, 2GB download is pretty
slow for some people, some people do still have nasty caps, and at some
point you start getting people saying 'why does it have to be so big?
What's all the bloat?' If all the lives start getting bigger, we may
also not be able to manage the four-desktop-spin live DVD any more. (If
anything, it'd be nice to get *more* desktops on that, not fewer, but it
seems unlikely).
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey