Fedora 19 Final blocker status: fix and karma requests

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Sun Jun 23 14:24:15 UTC 2013

On Sun, 2013-06-23 at 09:44 +0200, drago01 wrote:

> 2) We don't have to set a limit at all. Just include the stuff we want
> to include (and try to optimize that to be as small as possible).

Let's be realistic: 'trying to optimize that to be as small as possible'
only happens when we have a limit and start hitting it. Was anyone
checking and splitting out dependencies, tweaking the package set, and
looking for unnecessary data to cut out *before* we were filing bugs on
the size? Nope, no-one was.

I'm not saying there must be a limit, but I know what's going to happen
if there isn't one, don't kid yourself: limitless sprawl, and no-one's
going to bother about size reductions.

> Just because someone decided "there has to be a size limit and if we
> don't meet that target we block the release" does
> not mean that this is the right thing to do (note: it isn't). A limit
> only makes sense if you target a CD.

As noted in my previous message, we are in fact still targeting optical
media with the live images: the multi-live DVD image.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey